Smoking results in ill effects to all organs of the human body. It can cause cancer of the lungs, Stomach, Esophagus, Bladder, Blood (acute myeloid leukemia), Cervix, Colon and rectum (colorectal), Kidney and ureter, Larynx, Liver, Oropharynx (includes parts of the throat, tongue, soft palate, and the tonsils), Pancreas, Trachea, and bronchus.
Also, smoking is a major contributor a whole lot of bad things like a sore throat, yellow fingertips (including the nails), low sperm count, etc.
This entire article can be filled with all the smoking effects that are detrimental to the human body. Since smoking can cause health problems than can fill an encyclopedia, it goes to follow that the benefits of quitting smoking would include a reduction if not the elimination of the associated health threats.
To begin with, one spares himself from the cost of cigarettes. The typical smoker puffs around 13 sticks a day or 91 sticks per week, 364/week, and 4,368 sticks a year. Regardless of where one buys cigarettes, the cost is undoubtedly huge. A smoker also gets to avoid paying government taxes whenever he pays for a pack. At the very least, he can claim that he does not pay all government taxes. Also, the threat of heart ailment starts to go down 24 hours after the last cigarette has been extinguished. After about nine months, the lung is expected to have begun if not significantly repaired. After a year, the risk of heart disease should have been reduced by 50%.
The BENEFITS OF QUITTING SMOKING increases significantly as time goes by. The human body takes the time to repair itself, so the sad thing is, the risks associated with smoking goes down back to the level that the general population have only after 10 ~ 15 years. The best advice therefore stops now!
In more ways than one, quitting from tobacco use is better than continuing with its use. Consider this:
- Non-smoking runners breathe more easily and run longer distances because of easier air flow.
- Martial Artists who do not smoke can fight with more ferocity and can take more body blows compared to those who smoke.
- Non-smokers have whiter teeth. Smokers can also have that, but frequent trips to the dentist for beaching will be required. And even that cannot often be done.
- Non-smokers can be expected to have higher sperm counts and better sex lives. Some people may argue against it, but generally, it is true. Smoking decreases libido in the same way that it reduces sperm count.
- Non-smokers are less prone to colds and flu. Since smoking weakens the respiratory system, it is not easy to imagine smokers easily catching a common cold and the dreaded flu.
- Non-smokers are lesser fire hazards. Have you ever seen a table top or a chair with cigarette burns in it? Yes, it was caused by a smoker. Have you scanned the net and counted the fires caused by cigarettes? Of course, it could not have been started by a non-smoker.
- Non-smokers are guilt free when it comes to causing ailment brought about by secondary smoke. Most people know that lung cancer can be caused by secondary smoke. What many smokers do not know is that they can be the cause of other people’s bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma attacks, and meningitis and ear infections. Non-smokers do not have that feeling of guilt. One cannot pass on what one does not have.
- People who do not smoke will look younger than those who do. This is because the skin of non-smokers gets more nutrients and doesn’t age as fast as the smoker’s skin.
Another incentive that people should know is that non-smokers have a life expectancy of 15 years longer than those who smoke. Those are not 15 miserable years on oxygen tanks but one and a half decade of good health and easy breathing and at least 15 years of living without the stench of tobacco coming out together with the perspiration. Yes, people can smell it.
Hopefully, this article has taught the benefits of quitting smoking and people will realize the truth. Smokers and the people around them are better off without cigarettes.