What Are The Causes And Symptoms Of Overactive Thyroid?
An overactive thyroid is also known as hyperthyroidism. An overactive thyroid is a condition where the thyroid gland of a person produces excess thyroid hormone than that which the body needs. The right name for this disease is Hyperthyroidism but for the purpose of simplicity your doctor may refer to the disease as an overactive thyroid.
For those of you who might be wondering where the thyroid gland is located, it is found in front of your neck. The thyroid glands play a major role in the body because the hormones produced affects all parts of the body including the muscles, brain and skin. The hormone produced by your thyroid play a major role in the metabolism of the body as a whole and also influence the rate of your heartbeat. This makes it very important for every individual to know the signs and symptoms of overactive thyroid.
Image: Hyperthyroidism (nytimes.com)
This is because apart from the fact that the thyroid is very crucial in controlling how the body uses energy (metabolism) it also influences other important factors such as the amount of calories burnt, heartbeat, brain and skin functioning. This makes it a very important hormone in the body and knowing the symptoms of an overactive thyroid will help you know if something is up. The reason why it is important for women to be more informed when it comes to an overactive thyroid is because they are more likely to suffer from hyperthyroidism compared to men. This is probably because of the many body changes that occur in the woman compared to a man.
So What Are The Causes Of An Overactive Thyroid?
There are various factors that can lead to the development of hyperthyroidism in your body. These are some of the causes:
- Thyroiditis. This is the swelling of the thyroids. It is usually caused by a Yeast Infection [Effective Home Remedy]" href="http://www.ruixinxin.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-yeast-infection-effective-home-remedy/" target="_blank">virus infection which normally attacks the immune system which causes the inflammation of the glands. This inflammation leaks the thyroid hormone into the bloodstream. There are numerous types of thyroids that can infects you.
- Graves’ disease.This actually the most common cause of overactive thyroid. It happens when the body’s immune system creates an antibody which attacks the thyroid glands causing it to produce excess thyroid hormone. This is the disease is hereditary and affects younger women mostly.
- Excess iodine. Consumption of substances that have high iodine concentration also exposes you to hyperthyroidism. The body uses iodine to create the thyroid home meaning consumption of excess iodine can induce hyperthyroidism.
The Symptoms Of Overactive Thyroid
The symptoms of this disease are actually not easy to tell. This is because they are very similar to those of other disease, which means that you have to be very keen to know if you have the symptoms of overactive thyroid. These are some of the symptoms:
- Thyroid enlargement that is commonly known as goiter. You will feel a swelling under the neck.
- The eyes bulge out
- Increased heartbeat normally more than 100 heartbeats per minute
- Muscle weakness more so in the upper arms and thighs
- Drastic hair changes which include brittle hair, hair loss and hair thinning.
- Excessive sweating
- Irregular heartbeat
- Weight loss
- Anxiety and increased irritability
- Double vision
- Difficulty with sleeping
These are the most basic symptoms of overactive thyroid. You should always be on the lookout so that you don’t let things get out of hand. The earlier you receive medication, the better.